Thursday, February 23, 2012

Process Documentation: 05

After group critique on Monday, I feel like there are some major points of both my objective and timeline that need re-thinking.

To begin, my objective was to use graphic design to augment or alter environmental experiences. I don't think the question was as thorough as what I had developed in my mind. The purpose of the environments was to encourage a specific feeling upon the viewer. The direction I had worked on the past 1-2 weeks made environments--not necessarily in any specific location or using an existing environment (so, I should change the word "alter" in my question). On the other hand, maybe it should stay the same and I should search for existing environments to alter and augment into an experience (this would answer my current question). This is not where the project had been developing as far as sketches/drawing or research (that doesn't mean it can't though).

From the critique, I realized that the chosen emotion of victory could be achieved better by placing the message from the bottom to the top of the stairs as opposed to the bottom. A the beginning of the project I considered adding more emotions (Do 2 negatives and 1 positive get the job done?) but cut this out due to the amount of time for the project and decided to stick with 3. These 3 should be well integrated though and create a "journey" that the viewer/user experiences. It was also said that this would result in an adult playground or haunted house feel which isn't my intention. Although, I do want the experiences to create emotion, I don't necessarily think they need to be experienced in a linear way. They should be able to stand alone (in different locations). Even though I am designing the experiences and making models, I feel like I am pushing myself further away from graphic design and into a place where I don't know what I am doing. Either way, I need to explore more options for the experiences and include other senses (smell, sound, temperature, etc). These new explorations are shown below. To do this, I have adjusted my timeline and given myself another week[end] (shown below) even though that sets me dangerously close to mid-term.

So, based on the advice from crit and thinking, I have three options.
  1. Use existing locations (like an airport or library) and alter them (not building environmental spaces) to answer my existing question.
  2. Continue in the direction I was pursuing (+ reconsider the spaces/experiences I had first drawn shown below) and change my question to support this.
  3. Find one space (most likely the design building) and create my environments within that in a linear, storytelling setup.
Updated Timeline:



Initial Explorations:










___________________________________________________________________________

Recent Reading:

Duchamp's retinal studies, developed the term "precision optics" in the 1920s. Mentally constructing an image in the mind and then have it not be true. Optical illusion can best be achieved through black and white because it won't matter what the viewer perceives first--there is no wrong answer.

What affects this?

SENSATION
  1. Sensation occurs--converted to energy
  2. Perception follows--organizes and translates information received
  3. Selected attention--discerning what's important and what isn't
  4. Perceptual Expectancy--how we perceive the world based on past experiences, culture and biological makeup
  5. Threshold--dividing line between detectable energy and what is not
  6. Difference threshold--minimum amount of stimulus intensity change to produce noticeable change
  7. Signal detection theory--detection of a stimulus involves decision making as well as sensory process. Influenced by a) Noise--interference and b) Criterion--level of assurance before action--based on expectation and consequence of inaccuracy

    PERCEPTION/GESTALT

    1. Figure-ground--organization of visual perceptions
    2. Simplicity/pragnanz--grouping elements that make good form (although subjective)
    3. Proximity--near/belongingness when objects are placed close to one another
    4. Similarity--like objects are perceived as going together
    5. Continuity--follow the direction we are led in (dots on smooth curve appear together more than angles) (humans are lazy at perception)
    6. Common fate--elements that move together tend to be grouped together
    7. Closure--we complete a form when it has a gap

      ILLUSION

    8. Muller-Lyer Illusion
    9. Reversible Figures--ambiguous sensory information creates more than 1 good form
    10. Impossible Figures--objects that can be 2-d but not exist in 3-d despite perception (Ex/ Escher)

      PERCEPTION OF PAIN


    11. Fast pathways--registers localized pain
    12. Slow pathways--sends info through the limbic system (1-2 sec longer to react) results in lasting pain
    13. Expectation--influences "how much it hurts"
    14. Personality
    15. Mood
    16. Gate control theory--pain passes through a gate in spinal cord and determines info of pain sent to brain--a neural network sent in large or small signals (endorphins influence this) (EX/ Phantom Limbs--illusion of pain/sense sent to the brain)


    No comments:

    Post a Comment